I am embarking on an overhaul of this website. The goal is to make it about my writing (fiction and non-fiction) in general rather than strictly advertising my services as a freelance writer. I have a couple of stories that are in various stages of production, and there are a few Doctor Who-related blog posts that I have been meaning to write.

I have been watching “Trial of a Timelord” for the first time in 20 years and it has been a revelation. I have been meaning to do a 6th Doctor retrospective, so this is a great place to start.

I will share more about the fiction I am writing as well.

In the meantime, I wanted to put the blog back on the front page where it belongs.

Visualizing A Taxonomy Using Tree Testing

In the summer of 2012, I worked with Matt Turpin and the wonderful folks at the Seattle-based UX Design firm Fell Swoop on a taxonomy redesign of the FAQ pages on a client’s website.

***Update 11/22/19: no longer exists but it lives on via the Internet Archive. Here’s the FAQ page before the taxonomy redesign and after.

We conducted user testing in the form of a closed card sort and multiple tree tests using Optimal Workshop’s awesome tools. Not only did the results of the card sort and tree testing inform the taxonomy redesign, but Optimal Workshop’s OptimalSort and Treejack created great visual deliverables that we used to show the client how we were progressing and the improvements that we were making.

As a taxonomist and information architect, it was a revelation to not only incorporate user testing into a taxonomy project, but have compelling metrics and visual deliverables instead of just a spreadsheet to present to the client.

I wrote an article about the project that was recently posted on the Fell Swoop blog.

***Update 11/22/2019:  FellSwoop took down the blog post a long time ago, but it lives on via the Internet Archive. Read the archived version here.

X-posted on my Infogration Consulting blog.